This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Renato Rascel con l'Orchestra Kramer




I found a couple of Italian 10-inch EPs a few months ago, and in the process of moving things around to put tup the new shelves for the reel to reel tapes, these got unearthed. I posted the other one over on AudiOddities, but since apparently not as many of you go there, I'll post the other one here.

I know even less about Renato Rascel than I do about Marino Marini, except that Rascel was apparently a HUGE cinema star in the 50s in Italy.... I looked at a couple of sites, all in Italian, and even saw in the search bar something called "Dracula Cha Cha Cha"... Born in 1912 and died in 1991, he was also something of the comic actor, but from what I saw, he had a screen 'charm' that a lot of people went for... this is making me curious to see some of his work now, I'm sure that there are snippets of it up on YouTube and other places...

Anyways, this is a 1955 EP, released on Italian Odeon, and it is very pleasurable listening, indeed! You can hear some of the comic element in a couple of the songs, and there is a VERY nice version of "Arrivederci Roma" on here, backed (on all tracks) by l'Orchestra Kramer. Nice stuff, this!

Cover scans are here:
The front...
The back...

Bon giorno, Renato Rascel!

4 Comments:

Blogger R. said...

I can't open the front and back covers for this share (Renato Rascel). Thanks by the way for the audioodditties tip - haven't been there yet but will check it out. Also a big thank you for the inclusion of scans in your recent posts - though the previous ones are excellent without the scans too.

I appreciate your work a lot. Warm thanks from Norway!

11:50 AM

 
Blogger The Impaler said...

Scans are fixed, thanks for letting me know... :)

1:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont remember the guy in the book but the "Dracula Cha Cha Cha" may be a reference to a Kim Newman novel aka "Judgement of Tears" in the States.It's the third book in Newman's Anno Dracula series and is set in Italy in the 50's circa "La Dolce Vita." It's a kitchen sink of a horror novel and includes a large number of characters and cameos by real and fictional people.Don't remember Rascel being in their but there are so many characters, I wouldn't be surprised.

Keith

6:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next week I'll send you another Reneato Rascel's album from 1955, if you want. Cleaned from every noise.

3:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home