This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Louis Armstrong - I Love Jazz




Next up is a tape that kind of scares me... as you can see from the rear scan, it says "enhanced for Stereotape..." YIPE!

What we have are some recordings taken between 1950 and 1958 of Louis playing with several different groups... the personnel are on the back scan, along with recording session dates and locations.

What scares me is that I am looking at the waveforms and this is NOT mono, so someone has doinked with the recordings... I summed the 2 channels (post-recording) and it really doesn't sound that good in mono, so I did a little tweaking and left them as stereo files. At least these aren't treated like the crummy Capitol DuoPhonic process (BLEAH).

There are some good performances in here, and good sidemen, like Trummy Young, Peanuts Hucko, Barney Bigard, Charlie Shavers, Earl Hines, Cozy Cole, and Jack Teagarden to name a few. Give it a listen and see what you think.

Cover scans are here:
The front...
The back...

See why Satchmo says: I Love Jazz!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brad, Thanks for showing both sides of the album jacket, It's just like holding it in our hands before retreiving the record from it's sleeve, Wondrous Music Satchmo!
Byron

10:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home