This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Herbie Mann - Today




Ah, the rites of cleaning and the joys of unearthing stuff I forgot I had... I was tasked by She Who Must Be Obeyed to find a certain Rod Stewart album that I thought I had on vinyl. No, sir, no LP there, so I have this bright idea: dig into the rack of boxes covered up by several sleeping bags and about 500 lbs of cables... the boxes that hold the reel-to-reel tapes. I found said Rod Stewart album, dutifully ripped it and burned a CD for her, then went back in and dug out a BUNCH of reels that were in there, undiscovered for well over 2 or 3 years. This will give me some great material for you for the next few postings (interspersed with the usual vynil goodies, of course!).

First one up is a Herbie Mann album from 1966, with arrangements and combo conducted by Oliver Nelson. Why Herbie needs a conductor for a small group, I know not... but it has some good stuff on here. With compositions ranging from David & Bacharach to Duke Ellington to Lennon & McCartney, there is grist for the mill, as it were, and it is handled quite well.

The personnel are listed on the back cover, so I won't re-post that here, as the full size scans are available.

So, off we go, with the first of a bunch of nifty reels for your pleasure... no having to thread up the reel deck, no worries about splicing a broken tape, just enjoyment!

Cover scans are here:
The front...
The back...

Rack up Herbie Mann - Today and press the play button!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home