This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Monday, August 21, 2006

George Russell Sextet - Strasusphunk



OK, here's one I have already encoded some time ago, so it's a blast from the past, I guess... so much of a blast I don't even have the jacket for it!

This is a bit more bop-ish than what I usually groove to, but I liked it when I got it, and still don't know much about the group or any personnel. All I do know is this... it swings. It be gome good jazz that Riverside released in 1960... personnel listed on the label are:

  • Al Kiger - Trumpet

  • Dave Baker - Trombone

  • Dave Young - Tenor Sax

  • George Russell - Piano

  • Chuck Israels - Bass

  • Joe Hunt - Drums

SO, all youse, it's kind of a grab-bag, I know, but hey, it's Stratusphunk-y.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Federman said...

This is some of the most adventuresome and rewarding jazz I've heard in a while. It is sad to think that George Russell represents a road long abandoned. It is amazing how Russell makes a sextet sound much larger than it is. The soloists are fabulous. Thanks for posting this superb album. May it contribute to a revival of interest in third-stream jazz.

7:39 PM

 
Blogger mel said...

I remember this one from way back - it was very far out then but eminently listenable (not like Ornette Coleman whom I could never stomach).

I'm very glad to have it again.

Thanks, Brad.

Regards - Mel

12:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home