This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Monday, August 14, 2006

Waltz Time! Hey Walt, what time is it?



Another 1958 Telefunken-Decca West German pressing of an RCA Living Stereo release, this one recorded in the USA... Chicago, to be exact. The always awesome Chicago Symphony Orchestra, this time under the baton on Fritz Reiner, giving us a six-track program of... waltzes!

I know, this is more of a mood music blog, but once in a while, a little light classical is not a bad thing. I promise, no opera (well, maybe a little bit...)...

I see this LP a lot in the thrift stores, usually beat all to poo, so it was a surprise to see the German TelDec pressing that LOOKED to be in pretty good shape. Looked to be, but really wasn't, so you may hear a couple of pops in here, for which I apologize. And, I do NOT know WHY TelDec INSISTED on using their narrow groove pitch... the grooves are deep-cut, so with the correct stylus (different than the usual .07 mil elliptical one sees on most systems today) one SHOULD get a decent playback off of these... but I'd rather spend the USD$100 on things like... food, or the mortgage than on a stylus that I'll use... what... once a month on average?

NOT!

If I knew the specs of the stylus, I would be on the net tomorrow ordering one up for the Stanton.

Does that make me an audio-geek? I guess so :)

These are the usual typical Vienna waltzes, nothing new or exciting, but well performed and well-recorded by the lads at RCA. Nice heavy vynil disc too.

This is good light classical fare, so enjoy this little trip to Vienna!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bro! i'm checking this out right now and loving it. nothing like a little german music to make one feel all marchy and happy... and you should never apologize for a pop in the share. i think most share-ees like pops and crackles! that's what gives vinyl its charm, no?

7:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home