This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

A Dinner Date with Melachrino



George Melachrino... a mainstay of the RCA "Living Stereo" series, and a very lush arranger and composer. The music here is very much background dinner type stuff, but is still very very nice to have around when you have that certain lady over for a romantic repast.

What ever happened to casual dinners with good wine, and ladies wearing gloves, and men in suits, and dinner music such as this... the last time I was in an upper-scale dinner restaurant (a VERY nice steak-house for a romantic dinner), there was some cudgel-brain a couple of tables over in short pants and a polo shirt. If I have to wear a suit and tie, then, by golly.....

I guess it is a sign of times gone by, then, maybe that makes me an old poop... but every once in a while, I still like having a REAL dinner with REAL music and REAL manners.

Sigh...

Anyways, this is a 1958 RCA recording, recorded in England, and pressed by Telefunken-Decca GmbH in (at that time) West Germany. THe recording is brilliant, but the TelDec pressings have a VERY close groove pitch, which almost necessitate a different stylus (narrower than the usual stylus used for stereo groove playback) to get the stylus well into the groove. If I stil had my very skinny stylus for US Victor microgroove 45s and EPs, maybe I could have gotten an better encode... this one is good, but there were a few more groove pops than I would have cared for.

On the inner sleeve, which is from the UK, there is an interesting bit, which I'll repeat for you here:
NOTE: When held at certain angles the surface of this Stereophonic record looks different than that of a monaural disc... it may even appear to be worn. Of course, this is only an illusion caused by the unusual way in which the grooves of this record are cut.


It's still good for the dining music though, Music for Dining with your favourite Someone.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brad

No, you're not an old poop. What you ARE is civilized. I too, appreciate a REAL dinner with music like this and proper manners. And I'll be darned if anyone will call me an old poop, at 43!

I took my girlfriend out to dinner at an elegant restaurant for Valentine's day. She had never been to such a place! And yes, I wore a suit and she wore a 'dinner dress'. What a wonderful evening that was!

I love this album. Your blog is great. Keep up the good work!

Chris in T.O.

10:13 PM

 
Blogger The Impaler said...

Yay! There is still hope for civilisation :)

Glad you like the posts, mate... there'll be more coming.

I'm 48, so I guess it's not all so bad, then...

3:12 AM

 
Blogger mel said...

Music For Dining, a very beautiful LP, was posted about ten days ago by Sharity.

There are so many music blogs out there that it must be very difficult to know what's already been posted. Can't some clever blogger devise an easy way of finding this out to prevent a waste of time and effort?

Anyway, thanks very much for "Stars In Stereo" - an excellent collection from Capitol.

5:50 AM

 
Blogger The Impaler said...

... to steal a line from Monty Python's Flying Circus:

"...this is the Continental Version..."

:)

10:47 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Downloading this album now..
Can'y hardly wait to listen to it...

Thanks Brad..

8:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home