This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Something ain't right here....

Well, now that I have recovered from a computer that had a wheezing power supply (note: don't expect a 385 watt supply to keep a machine with 5 drives, a DVD burnerm and a CDR burner happy...), I can get down to encoding and posting a few more things. Actually I ordered up a 600w one and a 580w one, the 600w unit was dead out of the box (and is getting returned to ComputerGeeks.com), but the 580 watt unit is merrily soldiering on. Yay-ness!

Tonight's posts are a couple of different things. I found another couple of Wyncote LPs, and have included one of the for your amusement. I say "amusement" because it is another bunch of Hawaiian stuff. "Hawaiian Holiday" by "Kaiwaza". Okay, all good and well. BUT, when you unwrap the archive, you'll notice a couple of things...

(1) Some of the tunes are BRILLIANT Tiki material. I mean, these are NICE! Right up there in Tiki-ness with Lyman, Denny, and the rest. Which brings me to...

(2) If you look at the list of titles on this LP as opposed to the other Wyncote LP I posted, you'll notice that some of the track names are the same. No problems. BUT, when you play the tracks, THEY'RE THE SAME DAMN TRACK! "Hawaiian Holiday" and "Hibiscus Blossom" are the same tracks as on the other Wyncote LP! I checked with a very concentrated ear, and it sounds like these are even the same exact takes! Which brings me to...

(3) Wyncote. These guys must be the budget arm of something like Command or another company... they gather together a bunch of rejected takes or audition takes from somewhere, then throw them up in the air. The 10 that land closest together go on to an LP issue. This SEEMS like how they do it. Obviously, Wyncote is budget label, fronting someone's reject takes, but I guess the lesson here is this: in every pile-o-poop there can be brilliance.

So, is it "Kaiwaza"? Is it the "Hawaiian Islanders"? Or is it the "Mystery Haoles of Kahenoe Bay"? Unless someone has Wyncote notes or info, we may never know.

Oh well, enjoy "Kaiwaza"...

On a second note, I got some responses to the package of 7-inchers I posted the other day... I'll have to look at the off-centered-ness of the Si Zentner stuff, and maybe re-rip them.

Here's an archive of more orchestral stuff, some big band, some sweet-swing, but all in all, not too bad. Again, please excuse the quality of the rips, these are a bit older than current, and I was in a hurry to get these together for a "Music of your Afterlife" parody show.

Included in this batch are:

Glen Gray & His Casa Loma Orchestra:
- Night Train
- Swingin' The Blues

Harry James:
- Cherry
- Trumpet Blues

Les Elgart & His Orchestra:
- Beat Junction
- Let Me Call You Sweetheart
- Love For Sale
- Sidewinder
- The Touch Of Your Lips
- When You Were Sweet Sixteen

The 'New" Glenn Miller Orchestra:
- I Could Have Danced All Night
- Peg O My Heart

Ted Heath:
- Bag's Groove
- Cherokee
- Doodlin'
- Exactly Like You
- Night Train
- Wailin' Boat

Warren Covington & The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra:
- An Occasional Man
- Nunca
- Sweet and Gentle
- Tea For Two Cha Cha No. 2

Will Kennedy & His Orchestra:
- Give Me the Night Life
- I'm In A New World
- My Heart's Gone Crazy
- You're Not Fooling Me

As before, most are stereo, off of the 7-inch pressings from various labels. I have more of these laying about if anyone wants them... a lot of them swing pretty nicely, actually.

Download more 7-inch stuff!

So there you have it, I'm kinda caught up now... I found some Colombian stuff at my thrift store, supposedly the Colombian equivalent of either James Last or Peggy Lee... we'll just have to wait and see how good (or bad) it is...

Until next time, keep the Tiki torches lit for me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Traitor Vic said...

Brilliant!!!

I have, so far, loved each and every post! Really excellent stuff.

I will be back time and time again!

4:08 PM

 
Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team said...

Hey there, do you know about Both Sides Now? Their label discographies are amazing references. The Wyncote catalog might be of interest to you.

Also, here's cover art to the Kaiwaza via GoAntiques.com. I often add this album to the vinyl stack for Polynesian themed shindigs.

10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I nearly missed this second package of 7-inchers. ' ...Not too bad' you say?? Man, to me I must say it first knocked my socks down and then just blew me away, clear into high orbit!
You see, I'm a 63yo man now and as such, was born in the middle of the most extraordinary years the world ever knew. World War II, amazing scientific advances, birth of the atomic age, sweeping changes everywhere. All along and for many years after, there was this wonderful music, this magical music that always lulled us out of our worries but also shared in our happy moments and kind of "got under our skins" while we grew. This orchestral, big band, swingy music particularly reminds me of all those unforgettable times, of so many events -happy and sad- and of many people, quite a few no longer around. -Sorry, getting misty over here-
Well anyway, me personally I'd give it a cool (*****)+ for the excellent choice of music you combined into that second package of 7-inchers. I sincerely thank you for all the joy you brought to me -and likely to many others as well- now that memories are becoming, with every passing day, more and more an important element in our lives. Needless to say, I'll be keeping in touch with your blog; you know, just in case some more happens to come along.
Venezuela - South America -

9:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home