This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Buddy Rich at the Chez - 1966

In the batch of reel tapes I got was this album:


Yep, someone dumped this off in the middle of a bunch of very easy listening music tapes. Lady Domi asked that I post it, so I will honor her request, but I must tell you that this is STILL IN PRINT ON CD (albeit with extra tracks), and that if you like it you should go and buy it. I am VERY reluctant to post this after finding out that it still is in print... but to give you an idea of just how freakin' great Buddy was as both a drummer and a band-leader, I'll post it. BUT GO BUY THE CD IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR!!

Buddy had just left a VERY high-paying gig with Harry James in 1966 and decided to go forth and form his own band. His initial backers pulled out because the charts weren't 'rock-y' enough (they basically STUNK), so Buddy got a couple of new writers and arrangers and proceeded to blow the doors off of any venue the band played. This band set the standard in 1966 for how to swing and swing hard. In the liner notes, Stan Kenton noted that he was skeptical of Buddy's new adventure, but was hooked after the first hearing.

So, here are the original tracks as found on LP (or on this source, a Pacific Jazz open reel tape)...

Readymix
Basically Blues
Critic's Choice
My Man's Gone Now
Up Tight
Sister Sadie
More Soul
West Side Story Medley

As I stated earlier, go buy this damn thing, there are 8 extra cuts on the CD from the same performance at the Chez in Santa Monica, California, I have heard them and they kick just as much as these original 8 cuts do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home