This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mainland Billy May



Orkey-dorkey, I fell out of the Hawaiian groove there... now that my night job that runs 9+ hours plus a 60 mile each way commute is DONE, I will have a little more time to devote to My Three Blogs (insert TV theme music here).

First up, I am in a quandry... all the OTHER blogs I see that are sharing full LPs are doing one big rar archive for the LP. Should I do this also, even though I'm not using Rapidshare? I'll see, as I have rar'ed up this LP into one big archive.

Today's treat? A Billy May LP from the Time Records library. It's self-titled, so I used the "Process 70" as the album name. Nice swing stuff on here, plus the music is very well recorded! The LP was another thrift store find, and was in pretty ratty shape, so excuse the pops that remain.

Project 70 was apparently a "I got more fidelity than you" deal to go up against the Command 35mm process. It looks like they used 70mm wide TAPE, as one of the big things in the liner technical blah-blah was that the recording material kept constant tension against the heads, as opposed to being pulled across with film sprockets. Once I get the scanner up and running I'll scan the liner notes, it's a good laff.

The tunes are well performed too, and Billy manages to run some humour into the tracks (check out the incidental vocals in "Road to Hong Kong").

So, what are you waiting for? Download the archive!

Picture will be posted when I get the damn digital camera back from the kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team said...

Wowzers! That is some CLEAN rip. Those horns and strings just shout out atcha! Sip a little oolong tea indeed. Thanks for this beauty I'd never heard.

10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home