This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Monday, July 31, 2006

Jacques Denjean - The Tough Touch



I don't know too much about this composer/bandleader, except that apparently there are a couple of cuts here that became theme songs for popular radio programmes on Europe No. 1 and France-Inter Jeunesse ("Dans le vent" and "La route", respectively). The band apparently got noted in 1961 according to a mention on the jacket, stating "A new big jazz orchestra was born in France!" (an A. Destombes of "Telemagazine" said that)....

The cover has a release date of Feb 1964, but the disc, a German Polydor, has a press date of 1963, so, it is safe to say that this is early 60s jazz. No personnel credits, of course, but there is a mention that this was basically a "pick-up" orchestra, composed of studio players and amateurs, from both Paris as well as the countryside. It comes together, though, in a French 60s kind of Austin Powers-y way, and isn't too bad. Quite listenable, actually.

Most of the cuts are originals by M. Denjean, but there are a few covers also in here (guess which one is the Holland & Dozier piece, credited to Holland Dozier)... including one of the BEST covers of "Watermelon Man" (which is credited to Herbie Hancock... am I wrong or wasn't that a Mongo Santamaria tune?) I have heard, ever.

The disc was a BOOGER to get encoded, but, once again, CoolEdit shines! THere may be a few pops left in the tracks, but rest assured, there were a ton more before the noise pass was begun.

The Tough Touch.

Before I go, I have linked to a few more of my fave sites... if I have grabbed a share from it, I have posted a link to the site. Great stuff out there, grab, share, play, enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tag Hartman said...

It says I can't download it, but this is a heavensend because I've been looking for this album -- is there anyway I can contact you to get the .rar from you? It claims the server can't be found.

6:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Same here. I really want to get this one!

8:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home