This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Friday, July 21, 2006

Edmundo Ros, the Latin King?



Calm down, all you Tito Puente fans, it's only the title of the LP... Edmundo will never have the fire that "El Rey del Mambo" had, but he was a pretty popular band leader in the UK in the 50s and 60s, and had some pretty dance-able stuff.

This here share is from an OOP (later vintage of) London Phase-4 LP, found in a thrift store, and in pretty grungy condition. This one looked like it had been backed over by something... but I was able to get a halfway decent rip of it (CoolEdit ROCKS). Maybe it had something to do with the OTHER Edmundo Ros LP inside the jacket (on UK Decca, and in even WORSE shape)?

Anyways, you get to hear some pretty latin-esque (in a proper British sense, I guess) dance numbers, plus, Edmundo 'graces' us with his singing on a few of the cuts. Antonio Benedetto he ain't, but neither is he a male version of Florence Foster Jenkins (a truly painful experience, listening to FFJ... shudder!).

The rip came out fairly clean except for a couple of cuts towards the end of the LP sides... you can hear the crispness turn to mush (which almost NEVER happened on earlier Phase 4 pressings) somewhat, but there's still enough there to enjoy.

As per current, I'll have scans when I can FIND the digital camera... and, if I get energetic (or masochistic) I'll try and rip the other Decca LP that 'came with' this one. No guarantees, except for these two:

(1) Rabidshare will not delete this archive, because it ain't there, and...

(2) None of these tracks have shown up on a Wyncote LP (that I know of)..... if anyone finds a Wyncote LP recorded by "El Kaiwaza"..... RUN!

Here's The Latin King...

1 Comments:

Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team said...

I've flipped right past this one in the thrift shops. If not for your sharity, I'd have missed "The Coffee Song," which is way more fun than the cover art would indicate. Again, nice job on the clean-up.

10:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home