This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Persistent Percussion. You read it right.



Well well well, what have we here... looks like a red vynil RIPOFF of the Command "Persuasive Percussion" series! This was recorded in July of 1960, and actually has some names of people one might know on the sessions... people like Curtis Counce on bass, Frank Rosolino on trombone, Richie Kamuka on tenor sax, and a guy credited as "Kess" on guitar. Three guesses as to whom THAT is.

Oh yes, the orchestra is just listed as "All Stars".

This was released on Kent records, the label and pressing looking like a Crown knock-off, but actually recorded pretty well. There's the usual 1960s stereo ping-pong effects, lots of percussion, but there's also some good arrangements in here, and the band swings quite well. The pressing is a little bit noisy, so please excuse the occasional "Frutzz" in the grooves... I got out as much as I could without destroying the audio quality.

This thing I actually picked up at the thrift store today, I wasn't going to buy anything, but I saw this thing, and HAD to get it and encode it. Turns out, I'm glad I did.

Enoch Light, eat yer heart out.

(Seriously, I wonder if this was some kind of lawsuit bait, since the cover is almost an EXACT ripoff of the Command cover....)

Get Persistent!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home