This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

By Request: More Decca Chacksfield



This post is by the request of Mel, via the comments on the Love Letters post... I think I may actually have some more pre-Phase 4 Chacksfield on London "blueback", I'll have to dig through the racks to see if any more can be unearthed.

Another Decca Frank Chacksfield Decca LP from 1959 (although on the label it says "originally published in 1958"), this time featuring songs that have won the Motion Picture Academy of America "Best Song" award, from 1934 to 1945. Very nice arrangements of all the songs, which are presented in annual order. There is talk of a second album, with songs from 1946 to 1955, but I don't have it, nor have I seen it.

It is interesting to note that, according to the liner notes, when "The Continental" won the award in 1934 there were only ELEVEN awards given out... 1934 was the first year of the award for Best Song. The liner notes go on to say that at the time of this record's release, the catagories had expanded to "...over two dozen." Now, it is what, three days, if you count all the Technical Awards that are given out the day before the actual awards ceremony? Amazing how some things were simpler in the 50s...

This LP has the usual lush arrangements, but still quite tightly arranged, and wonderfully performed, and the pressing quality is pure UK Decca. Again, this was one of the stereo discs that the doofus collector passed on because it WASN'T a US London release. These are all pretty standard tunes, but the arrangements make them a treat for the light music afficionado.

I'd like to thank the Academy for giving Frank the inspiration to record these Academy Award Songs!

4 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

You're fantastic! Thank you so much.

Love Letters In The Sand is marvellous and your rip is excellent.

Actually the specific Chacksfield LP that I've been searching for is "Early Talkie Memories" (If I Had A Talking Picture Of You, Painting The Clouds With Sunshine etc.)- British Decca c 1954, but it seems to be very rare indeed.

Michael Dutton of Vocalion Records has so far been unable to reissue it on CD despite my requests.

If by chance you ever come across a copy, pounce on it and bear me in mind.

Thanks again and best regards - Mel.

10:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much your blog is the best.
It his really like heaven thanks for all these great records.
I adore the phase 4 artists, more more more!
Thanks so much

Pokepi

2:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a copy of the LP "Early Talkie Memories" by Harry Farmer's Rhythm Ensemble. Are you still looking for a copy? I was going to put it on eBay but if you are interested email me at spartan.msu@hotmail.com

8:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No se porque la orquesta de fran no fue tan famosa como deberia, su sonido es inigualable y muy particular. Me gustaria conseguir el albun de frank chacsfield Film Festival
Idon´t know why the frank chacsfield orchestra it wasnót asa famous as it shuold be. His sound is matchles and very peculiar. I´Like to get The album Film Festival. Thanks and greeting from Colombia

10:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home