This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Ahmad Jamal Trio



Good keyboard players... how I love 'em! And, how I absolutely love to find their works in decent shape in a thrift store!

This is Ahmad Jamal with Israel Crosby on bass and Ray Crawford on guitar, with the beat being laid down by..... a drum machine! How retro...

But, this was Ahmad's first full LP for Epic, having cut an EP and several singles (I think I have even seen some Ahmad Jamal on 78rpm discs!), so his stylings were great. I think so, anyway.

Note in some of the solos that the players will make sure you're paying attention by dropping in a hook from some unrelated song during their solos...

I think this was done in 1960 or thereabouts, there's no real date on the jacket or the disc, but the catalog number was LN 3212 and no mention of it being available in stereo.

So, for a late night posting, here's nice music for a late evening... performed very adeptly, by The Ahmad Jamal Trio. No oops here :)

1 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

In the 1950s and 1960s I was busy building up a collection of LPs by Oscar Peterson, Bud Powell, Hampton Hawes, whatever Lennie Tristano I could get my hands on, and, later, Bill Evans.

I also went in with a lot of enthusiasm for Shearing, Garner, Previn et al who were not as "meaty".

I steered away from Jamal because I was heavily influenced by Down Beat magazine whose reviews of Jamal LPs were always negative.

Now that I've heard him I can see why. Although he's obviously a very competent pianist, he's too laid back for the serious jazz lover: the music he was playing at the time was better suited to those on the fringe. I believe he changed his style considerably a few years thence.

So I appreciate very much the chance to hear him after all these years and thank you very much for the post.

Best regards - Mel.

6:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home