This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Howard Roberts - All-time Great Instrumental Hits



Ahhh, one of my favorite guirat players... Howard Roberts.
This guy just plays so so so tasty, I can't help picking up any of his stuff at the thrift stores. Such a smooth player, and he got so very little recognition... I liken his playing to early George Benson (which I have some and may put up later).

This outing, Howard takes on instrumental hits of the 60s, and takes them on he does! The only complaint I might have is this... if you have a subwoofer, it'll be dancing!

I'm not gonna say too much more, except this: I'll let the music do the talking here... I have a couple more HR LPs, when I dig em up, I'll post 'em. Enjoy!

Fullsize scans of the jacket, front, and back.

All-Time Great Instrumental Hits are there for the taking...

...and I fixed the link, too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems to be the link for the Roland Kirk LP below re-posted???

11:34 PM

 
Blogger mel said...

Very nice, but . . .

The Howard Roberts fans I reckon would rather have gone for one of his straight jazz LPs.

The only instance that I can think of when a jazz guitarist made a ("commercial" recording that all the jazz fans went for was in the 1950s when George van Eps brought out "Mellow Guitar" for Columbia - this one was superb - all standards, backed by strings (I think Paul Weston's orchestra).

I'd love to find that one today.

Regards - Mel.

3:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home