This is where stuff that won't fit on the Shellac Shanty or AudiOddities blogs. Lounge, funk, or just stuff that I happen to like run through my addled brain. Eclectica forever!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Lionel Hampton - Here's Gates!




Here is an LP of Lionel Hampton transcriptions of (I believe) airchecks that I had started when I uncovered the boxes of reels... not wanting to leave anything half-finished, I decided to do this up and get it posted so it is in the 'completed' shelf, instead of sitting on the pile somewhere in the studio. Yes, I need to organize stuff. I also need to build a bunch of shelves for the reels, now that I'm actively doing encoding off of them again...

The releasing company was a company called Camay (not the soap, I hope), click here for a full size scan of the label... I do however have some personnel info for this disc, compliments of 78-L member Julian Vein:

[H1089-4] Lionel Hampton
Here's Gates:
Quincy Jones (tp,arr) Benny Bailey, Ed Mullens, Leo Shepherd, Walter Williams (tp) Jimmy Cleveland, Al Grey, Paul Lee, Benny Powell (tb) Bobby Plater, Jerome Richardson (as) Gil Bernal, Johnny Board, Curtis Lowe (ts) Ben Kynard (bar) Lionel Hampton (vib,vcl) Milt Buckner (org) Billy Mackel (g) Roy Johnson (b) Ellis Bartee (d) Similar pers unknown female (scat vcl-1), poss Betty Carter (vcl)

Los Angeles, c. September 1951

T.V. special Camay CA3019, New World (E)NW5019
Midnight sun - -
Cobb's idea (1) - -
Vibe boogie - -
Beulah's boogie - -
Who cares ? [So long as you care for me] - -
Bongo interlude - -
Air mail special - -

The sessions are swinging, to be sure, and note that QUINCY JONES is in there with 'em!

Cover scan is here... the back cover contains adverts for more Camay LPs...

Here's Gates!

2 Comments:

Blogger David Federman said...

Brad,
I keep getting message that this page is unavailable. Could you check it out. By the way, I love your new music missions, especially regarding jazz. Now that you're posting tapes, I sure hope you get to some of the 71/2 ips tapes from RCA Living Stereo of the 1950s. I remember hearing Pierre Monteux's glorious recording of Debussy's "Nocturnes" with the BSO, made in 54 or 55, and how much better the tape sounded than the LP.Do we have Reiner and Munch stuff, too? There's gold to be mined in those tape boxes, I'm sure.

7:00 AM

 
Blogger The Impaler said...

OK, 15th time may be a charm... the comments section isn't working too well today...

I fixed the link, there was a busted link at the server end, so the archive should be available now.

As far as tapes, I don't have any of the 50s era RCA tapes, but I know how good they sound... if I manage to snag some on eBay, I may end up starting another blog just for reels... if that does happen, there will have to be a PayPal donation link to help subsidize server space and media acquisition costs... it's unfortunate, but it may have to be done :(

I'll make an announcement on the three blogs if audioshare blog number 4 becomes a reality...

As far as classical tapes go, I have a BUNCH, a lot of DGG stuff, as well as about 80 reels of WFMT airchecks that are as pristine as one can get from a radio broadcast when the taper is 1/4 mile away from the tower in Chicago... plus the deck I have (a TEAC 3400) is the same exact deck he used to make the airchecks. If the 4th share blog goes up, then I'll do a lot of those, since I have a bunch of those already encoded.

9:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home